After a devastating forest fire in 1833, the first fire company named “Washington No.7″ was established in South Dedham, followed by the second company, “America No.1″ in 1834. When the Town was incorporated in 1872, the two companies were
re-named “Norwood 1 & 2″ respectively. With the improvement of equipment and services, the Fire Department facility was moved several times. The building shown above was completed in 1907. In 1964 a new fire station was dedicated on Nahatan Street. That building, shared by the Fire and Police Department, was replaced with a second building on the site in 2003.
Inclusive dates: 1832 – 2003 (with gaps)
A small collection of records, encompassing the South Dedham fire department known as the Washington Fire Association Volunteer Fire Company #7. Also included are several records of the Volunteer Fire Company #1 which came into being with the formation of the Town of Norwood in 1872. The bulk of the records are the Fire Dept Record (Daily Blotter). According to the Secretary of State’s retention schedule, these records are permanent and the hard copies retained. Record types include minutes, fire records (Daily Blotter), photographs, reports, artifacts. There are also some records located at the Norwood Historical Society including minutes and photographs.
Previously relying on an informal constable system, the Town established the Norwood Police Department in 1896. Along with the rest of the town the Police Department changed and expanded over the years. It currently provides the town with all services of modern law enforcement. Since 1964 it has shared a building on Nahatan Street with the Fire Department. A new building on the site for both departments was completed in 2003.
Surveyed records include approximately 150 log books, miscellaneous records in several hundred labeled boxes, videos and photographs.
Contact: Lt. Paul L. Butters
Norwood Fire & Police Department
135-137 Nahatan St.
Norwood, MA 02062