Balch Elementary School
1170 Washington St.
Norwood, MA 02062
Contact: Principal, 781-762-0694
The first Balch School, a wooden frame building, was constructed in 1867 on Washington Street on the front grounds of the present property. The School was named for Rev. Thomas Balch, the first minister of the South Parish of Dedham. In this rambling wooden structure, the young people of South Norwood were educated until 1913 when the current Balch School was constructed. In 1923 the school was enlarged by an eight-room addition and by a large playground at its rear, known presently as the Charles W. Eliot Park. A second wing containing the Nicholas Abdallah Auditorium, kitchen facilities, gymnasium and conference areas were appended to the school in 1966.
Inclusive dates: 1711 – present (bulk 1909 – present).
Spanning 137 years of the Balch School presence in South Norwood, the records pertain to its history including the Balch family and other information on early Dedham and Norwood schools. Record types include correspondence, diary excerpts (copies), research reports/essays, genealogies, photographs, historical poster, newspaper clippings, plaques, drawings. More recent information on the School is included in reports and newspaper articles. Also included are extensive photographs of the School, the students, and several teachers.
Callahan Elementary School
116 Garfield Avenue
Norwood, MA 02062
Contact: Principal, 781-762-0693
The Callahan School was built in the year 1930. In 1954 an addition was built which included a remedial reading room, cafeteria, teachers’ room, and additional classrooms. In 1997, the Raytheon Company donated an annex room which was attached to the school and now serves as the library area.
The school was named after Mr. Cornelius M. Callahan who served on the School Committee from 1905 – 1920, and who served as chairman for six years. The auditorium was named for Martha B. Parker who was a first grade teacher in the East School for many years.
Inclusive dates: 1930 – present
Spanning 74 years, the records pertain to the children, faculty and staff of the school including special activities and events. Also included are records that pertain to the building and grounds. Record types include handbooks, photographs, video, historical files, memorials on the grounds, paintings, and plaques.
Cleveland Elementary School
33 George Willett Parkway
Norwood, MA 02062
Contact: Principal, 781-762-6522
The F. A. Cleveland School opened in 1958. The one story masonry and steel structure was designed to accommodate pupils from kindergarten through grade 5. In 1965 eight additional classrooms and two areas for speech and reading were built.
Dr. Frederick A. Cleveland (1865 – 1945), for whom the school is named, was an author and economist of national and international fame. He was also an engineer, philosopher, builder and professor. His service to Norwood spanned fifty-three years, including nine years on the school committee.
Inclusive dates: 1958 – the present
Spanning 46 years, the records pertain to the children, faculty and staff of the school including special activities and events. Also included are records that pertain to the building and grounds. Record types include a photograph, newsletters, handbooks, and plaques. Videotapes of the school located at the TV/Video office at the Norwood High School.
Oldham Elementary School
165 Prospect St.
Norwood, MA 02062
Contact: Principal, 781-769-2417
In 1964 the John P. Oldham School was completed and opened. John P. Oldham retired in 1937 after many years with the Norwood Public Schools. Serving as supervisor of custodians, school buildings and grounds. Between 1887 and 1915 he served the Town as auditor and registrar. John A. Abdallah proposed naming the school in Mr. Oldham’s honor.
Inclusive dates: 1962 – the present
Spanning 40 years the records pertain to the children, faculty and staff of the school including special activities and events. Record types include photographs, yearbooks, handbooks, scrapbooks, news clippings, historical files, tiles, and plaques.
Prescott Elementary School
66 Richland Rd.
Norwood, MA 02062
Contact: Principal, 781-762-6497
In 1958 the Charles J. Prescott Elementary School was completed. Charles J. Prescott was a local businessman, financier, humanitarian, and devoted citizen. In the 1950’s he served as the chairman of the Norwood Finance Commission.
Inclusive dates: 1957 – the present
Spanning 46 years the records pertain to children, faculty and staff of the school including special activities and events as the celebrations of its 20th and 30th anniversaries. Record types include photographs, yearbooks, scrapbooks, correspondence, news clippings, historical files, architectural plans, and plaques.
Philip O. Coakley Middle School
1315 Washington St. Norwood, MA 02062
Contact: Principal, 781-762-7880
In 1919, the Town of Norwood opened a combined junior and senior high school on Washington Street. Within two years this school was overcrowded and a new wing was added in 1921 to ease the situation for several more years. In 1926, the Washington Street building was made into a junior high. For 40 years, the Washington Street and the Nichols Street buildings adequately served the higher education needs of the Town. In 1968, the Junior High North opened on Prospect Street and the Washington Street building (pictured above) became the Junior High South. The latter was damaged by fire in 1971 and in 1972 the Town voted to build a new Junior High School at 1315 Washington Street in South Norwood. Around 1988 both NJHS North merged with NJHS South to become the Norwood Junior High School. In 2004 the school was renamed the Dr. Philip O. Coakley Middle School after a former Superintendent of Schools
Inclusive dates: 1907 – present
Records include handbooks, yearbooks, photographs, historical posters, plaques, memorials.
Norwood Senior High School
245 Nichols St. Norwood, MA 02062
Contact: Principal or School Librarian, 781-769-2333
In 1889 the town’s first high school (pictured above) was built, located on a hill at the corner of Beacon and Bullard Streets. In 1919, a combined junior – senior high school was completed on Washington Street. Within five years, despite an addition, the school was overcrowded and plans were made for a separate high school. In 1926 the current Norwood Senior High School was completed on Nichols Street. The current campus includes numerous additions and the former Henry O. Peabody School.
Inclusive dates: 1913 – present
The Library contains predominantly the yearbooks, newsletters and literary journals published at the High School through the years. Holdings include an original copy of the sheet music “Norwood: the Norwood High School Song.” The TV/Video studio and office holds audio and videotapes of events including school dedications, concerts, plays, graduations, high school football/basketball games. There are also some videos pertaining to the town and its residents and veterans. For information about additional records pertaining to graduates please call the number above, for general information about former students in Norwood public schools please call (781) 769-6804.